Suryanamaskar: Leads us from fat to fit body
A lot of people want to have a body like Jennifer Aniston’s perfectly toned muscles and curves to die for.So what’s the secret? Any guesses?
Of course, it is Suryanamaskar. So, what actually is Suryanamaskar?In addition, Let’s find out.
Suryanamaskar makes the entire body flexible and thus, prepares it for asanas. Also, popularly known as the sun salutations.
It is an elegant sequence of twelve postures.Furthermore, if you do it in the proper way it is one of the most rhythmic breathing.
Suryanamaskar reduces stiffness, rejuvenates the body, and invigorates the mind. The everyday practice also helps in trimming the waist and makes the joints and spine supple.
Suryanamaskar is an age-old practice that consequently involves reverence to the sun deity.It is ideally done in the morning.
THE STAGES OF SURYANAMASKAR
Suryanamaskar can do miracles to your body and transform you into a new.
Also, it is what one called ‘a complete package’- a spiritually elevating exercise involving the body, mind, and breathing which improves our knowledge of our inner self.
And therefore, the two consecutive sets of twelve poses will complete your one round.
So, the twelve stages that constitute one Suryanamaskar cycle are:
1. Namaskar Mudra: Stand straight with your feet together and hands by the side. Now bring your palms close together to your chest in Namaskar Mudra, and then breathe normally.
2. Back Bending Chakrasana: Inhale and raise your hands upwards. Now arch your back and stretch your arms upwards. Once you are in this position, breathe normally.
3. Padahastasana: Exhale and bend forward, touching your toes with your hands. Look downwards and breathe normally once you are in this posture.
4. Ashwa Sanchalanasana: Place your palms on the floor while inhaling, bend the right leg between your hands at a 90- degree angle from the floor, then stretch the left leg backward. Now arch your back and look upwards, and then breathe normally.
5. Santolanasana: Exhale and place your right leg behind, so that it is in line with your left leg. Make sure your hands are aligned below with your shoulders. The shoulders, back, and hips should be in one straight line. And then breathe normally when you are in this posture.
6. Shashtanga Mudra:
Bend the elbows, chin, chest, and knees towards the floor. Tuck the elbows on the sides and close to the body. Now raise the hips upwards,and then breathe normally.
7. Sarpasana: Inhale and raise the upper body with the shoulders bending backward and the chin upwards. The waist should touch the floor, once in the final posture, breathe normally.
8. Parvatasana: Exhale and raise the hips upwards, pushing the upper body behind and touching the heels to the floor. Keep your knees straight and neck facing downwards looking at the navel region, once in posture, breathe normally.
9. Ashwa Sanchalanasana: Inhale while placing your left leg forward and in between the hands. Now arch your back, press the chin upwards, keeping the palms flat on the floor. Breathe normally once you are in this posture.
10. Padahastasana: Bring your left leg forward towards your right leg, keeping the knees straight.Now with palms touching the toe and the neck relaxed. Once you attain this posture, breathe normally.
11. Back Bending Chakrasana: Bring your palms together, inhale and raise the hands and the upper body upwards while arching your back.
Breathe normally once you attain this posture.
12. Namaskar Mudra: And then come back to the starting position slowly while exhaling.
What are the benefits of Suryanamaskar?
Suryanamaskar is a holistic exercise that provides physical, mental, and spiritual health benefits.And so, It is a complete body workout that helps in detoxification, weight loss.
Months of gyming, dieting, and workout will not really help us as much as this exercise.
Here are some of its benefits:
a.It is an easy and pleasant way of starting a day.You will feel fresh and rejuvenated after practicing the postures.
b.It does not cause any kind of sprain or injury.So, it is advisable for people of all age groups.
c.It relieves tension and stress and so, has a soothing effect on the mind.
d.It works wonder on the muscles and thus ,making them strong and supple.
e.It helps fight insomnia and sleep disorders.Combating mental disorders and depression also become easy.
f.Also , it increases concentration power by stimulating the faculties of mind.
g.It helps control hunger and so,not allow you to become fat.
h.Suryanamaskar also makes the skin and complexion look radiant and younger.
i.It is the only exercise that provides the workout for the entire body.
j.Digestive and nervous systems function in resonance.
k.It tones the body and cuts down body fat.It can easily reduce abdominal fat.
l.Also,It supports the respiratory and lymphatic system.
m.The endocrine system that includes thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands, as well as testes and ovaries, also function properly.
Each posture of Suryanamaskar has a distinctive function.From body balancing to blood circulation, these asanas are extremely helpful.
POSTURE 1-NAMASKAR MUDRA
a.maintains the balance of the body.
b.stimulates the respiratory system
c.exercises the shoulders, back, and neck muscles.
POSTURE 2-BACK BENDING CHAKRASANA
b.strengthens chest muscles.
c.expands the lungs and open the heart chakra.
d.tones the spine.
e.increases back and hip flexibility.
a.promotes good blood circulation
b.tone abdominal tract.
c.makes the waist and spine flexible.
d.stimulates spine nerves.
e.it is beneficial for the functioning of the liver.
POSTURE 4-ASHWA SANCHALANASANA
a.strengthen hand, legs, and wrist muscles
b.exercise the spinal cords
c.massages abdominal organs.
d.helps develop confidence.
e.makes the neck muscle flexible.
a.expand the chest muscles.
b.helps reduce the abdominal fats.
POSTURE 6-SHASTANGA MUDRA
a.maintain body postures.
b.waist and spine become flexible.
a.makes the spine flexible
c.stimulates spinal cords.
d.It tones muscles .
e.It reduces fat
a.good for spine and waist muscles.
c.improves blood circulation
POSTURE 9-ASWA SANCHALANASANA
a.It strengthen the legs,hands and spine of the body.
a.promotes blood circulation.
b.stimulates the spinal nerves.
c.strengthens the back.
POSTURE 11-BACK BENDING CHAKRASANA
a.promotes body balance
b.expands the abdominal viscera
c.tones the spine
d.expands the lung
e.helps in proper digestion
POSTURE 12-NAMASKAR MUDRA
a.body is balanced.
b.helps maintain poise.
SOME TIPS OF DOING SURYANAMASKAR:
- The best time to perform Surya Namaskar is in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Also, you can do it at any time of the day.Do not wear tight fitting clothes or uncomfortable shoes.
- Therefore, wear light cotton clothes and sports shoes.If you are used to having tea and coffee as soon as you wake up in the morning.So,perform the asanas after half an hour.
- If pregnant try not to exert yourself and so,try to avoid Suryanamaskar.
- Avoid Suryanamaskar during the first three days of your menstruation.
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN THE RIGHT WAY OF DOING SURYANAMASKAR BY RASHMI RAMESH ( MIND, BODY, AND SOUL)